IPL as league (for that matter all T20 leagues) are very short-term in nature, players are contracted for season, so unlike professional soccer or American sports league (NFL,NBA,MLB,NHL) played over a longer duration.
Certain peculiarities of the league
- not all players are available for entire season – which makes it harder to actually consistency is team strategy over the years.
- most of the time injury means end of season for players
- travel by commercial airline makes it very tough
- played in peak summer in India
Given all of this teams generally have very little prep time for the season and teams that make use of best resources are generally likely to succeed.
The table below summaries performance of various teams over the years.
- CSK has perfect record of making playoff every year, which is reason why is #1 reason it has become most hated opponent.
- Next best is MI which has made playoff 63% of time
- One team has never made the finals
Playoffs matches played for winners & runner-up
- Since play-off has been introduced here is look at winners and runner-up (number of play-off matches played)
|2012||2||KKR||3||CSK – Eliminator|
|2016||3||SRH – Eliminator||2||RCB|
- Best route to Championship Finish #1 or #2 and win the first qualifier
- only 3 teams have become champions playing 3 matches in playoff (MI-2013, SRH – 2016 & MI – 2017)
- only one team won after not finishing #1 or #2 during the league stages (SRH)
- RCB has worst strike rate in finals, having lost all three times
- having made 7 finals have the distinction of most wins and most loses in finals!
- made finals for 4 years in a row 2010,2011,2012,2013
- won in 2013,2015,2017
- made finals back to back in 2011 and 2012
- championship in 2015 and 2017 but failed to make playoffs the following year
- Among champions KKR & RR are yet to lose in finals
- Hyderabad teams win championship if they finish 4th in League stages (DC & SRH)!