Whenever I pass thru mostly migrant constructions worker who live in streets of Chennai, I have wondered why cannot we do something about this but I could never come-up something I thought was a practical solution and would always get on with whatever keeps in occupied on any given day.
Then about month back some idea originated and I have been thinking about it more, I think we can let them live more dignified if we can do the following
- Basically Dormitory type of accomodation, with minimal storage in one end (cupboard with lock)
- These are long halls imaging twin beds stacked against wall on both sides with about 4 foot walking space in between and U shaped of shower curtain that can be drawn out to get some privacy during night.
- Toilets and bath and wash area adequate to take care of residents
- Common community kitchen where breakfast is served and lunch is packed and dinner is also served – these need not be fancy ones but clean & simple food (that is prepared by folks who come from same region as workers)
- During the day time the same area can be used as school for kids, basically community learning that prepares kid to attend more formal schools latter in their life
- Government subsidy – PDS portion and employment assistance portion used to assist them and make this place run
- There should be health assistant available to refer sick folks
- There can be a micro saving booth that can be manned in the mornings and evening, that can have simple saving account, accept deposits, do money transfers, direct deposit of pay etc.
- These folk live no more than 5-10 kms from their work place
- There can TV in common place and also adult education for those who desire
- There can be programs to figure out if these folks can be given more skilled training instead of being construction workers can they trained as pluming / electrical assistants, can women be trained to be tailors etc …
- This can be thought of as holding place from where these folks can graduate to step higher in economic ladder
I hope to think about this more and get back with update latter …